Fiberglass Maintenance (Fill)
Following are general fiber-wrap fill procedures, for use with most types of wrap fabrics: fiberglass, silk or linen. Please refer to the manufacturer instructions for the brand of wrap you are using for more details and technique variations.
- Pre-Service and Prep: Wash hands, remove polish, push back cuticles, etc.
- Shorten and shape nails.
- File cuticle and sidewall areas flush.
- Remove shine from entire surface of nail. Bevel and contour surface as needed for arches. Thin nail surface as needed to compensate for additional product added as outlined in following steps.
- Continue with nail prep: dust and sanitize nails.
- Place a small bead of resin in the middle of the natural nail growth area. Use the nozzle to swipe it to the left and then right, creating a smooth and even surface.
- Activate the resin. Use either a spray-on or brush-on activator to dry the resin.
- Apply resin to the nail in the outgrowth area, and pull it over the old resin onto the nail bed – either halfway up or out and over the free-edge. Activate to dry. You will now have 2 layers of resin on the natural nail.
- Cut a piece of fiber-wrap material to fit the growth area. Place it carefully in the growth area, overlapping slightly onto the previous application. Be sure to leave a small space between fiber and cuticle.
- Place a small bead of resin in the center of fiber; use the nozzle to spread it to the left and then right. Be sure that the resin completely saturates the fiber.
- If there are any weak spots on the nails, apply fiber strips as necessary to those spots. Saturate with resin, and then activate to dry.
- Apply a layer of resin to the whole nail, from outgrowth area to out and over the free-edge (to encapsulate the free-edge).
- Activate to dry.
- If necessary, add another layer of resin to entire nail (especially if you are working with a very thin resin), and activate.
- Use a 180 or higher grit file if needed to smooth out any imperfections. Be careful not to file through to the fiber you just added. If you do, then reapply the last layer of resin.
- Continue with finish work per your usual methods: white buffer and then oily buffer or 3-way shine buffer.
- Post-Service: wash hands, polish nails, etc.